Freshdough on "Stairway to Heaven" [Part 1]

조회 수 3227 2004.06.17 15:33:20
freshdough
After surviving on short clips, previews and NGs gathered on the Web, I've finally acquired and watched STH for the first time. These are my impressions and thoughts. I may have more to add later so I'll just title this "Part 1".

1. Missing scenes??
I noticed that some scenes shown in NG clips didn't appear. I've no idea if the problem lie with my set of VCDs bought in Singapore, or the scenes didn't make it to screen in Korea. For example, there was one NG clip of Jeongsuh squatting next to the commode and Songju came in (sliding) with his newspapers, both in pyjamas. That's missing. Another one is where Songju (wearing the rabbit beanie on his head) talked to Taehwa in the office while Jeongsuh sits outside knitting. That's missing too. And in Epi 20, after the snow scene my VCD goes abruptly to Jeongsuh and Songju in the Cinebus. Was there something in between? I hope those who have watched other editions of STH, or even better the Korean version, can enlighten me on these.

2. Coolest Guy not in leading role: Manager Chang (the foreign chap)
Because he tells off Yuri! I love that scene where he blocked her from going into Songju's office and said she's irritating because she kept being in the way. Hurray for him. He's like a Swiss Army Knife, so multipurpose: chauffeur, right-hand man, body-guard, loyal friend, counsellor, squash partner, wedding official, chef. Having him must have saved SBS a bit of salary since they don't have to hire additional actors for all these roles!

3. Best Evil Woman: Tae Mira
Every time I see her my blood boils, and I want someone to bash her up. The actress is really good in this role. She has so many expressions of disgust, scheming, condescension, fake smiles, snide sneers, etc. at her disposal. Oh, don't forget her numerous timely "Faints". Gggrrrrhhh...

4. Most Clueless/Wimpy Guy: Professor Han
Where was he when Jeongsuh was tortured by the Tae Mira-Han Yuri evil tag-team?! What in the world did he do when she was missing for 5 years? Watch his lack of reaction when Taehwa broke the news about Yuri causing the collision. Oh boy... The only useful thing he did was to "give away" Jeongsuh to Songju.

5. Odd-ball Posse that strides with Songju
4 guys who only open car/building doors, fetch Songju's cars, etc. Overdoing the "big-deal scion of a mega conglomerate" bit by having them. It becomes some what funny to see the whole gang walking here and there.

6. Sangwoo's Football Skills
Sangwoo has rather good ball skills, from the scene at the stadium. He could juggle the ball with his head, thighs and feet quite well.

7. Songju's driving
Sangwoo gets to speed the lovely cars on the highways. But it seems to me he drives with only one set of expression on his face, and the same body posture.

8. Kim Tae Hee's English
Her spoken English is rather good, judging from the bit that she spoke during the presentation of the scarves product to foreign investors.

9. Eyes Bizarre
Kim Tae Hee's ability to make her eyes bulge out is probably a key factor in casting her. I do get tired of that expression though...

10. Coolest Gizmo - CineBus
I love this big gizmo! Does it really exist in Seoul? Or was it created for the series? Movie-on-the-go, what a great idea!

11. Overused gag - Talking on Mobile Phones while within Walking Distance
How many times did this take place? At the police station, at the cafe... etc. Too many times.

12. Invasion of the Mike
The mike can be seen invading the top of the screen sometimes. It irks me when that happens in emotional scenes (such as the last goodbye at the beach in Epi 20). Spoils the image.

13. Most Unbelievable/Needless Scenes
Unbelievable - When Songju pretends to be TaeHwa after Jeongsuh loses her sight at the beach. Come On!! That's stretching my imagination too far. How could Jeongsuh not recognize Songju from hugging him, or not get suspicious from his prolonged silence??
Needless - When Taehwa drives the sick Jeongsuh to the beach house and asks Songju to fetch her from there, after which both parties return to Seoul. Just one big round, like a ride on the ever-present carousel.
Needless - When Songju carried Jeongsuh up the stairs to their apartment on their wedding night. Director shot this just because the stairway is transparent? Or as a visual reference to "Stairway to Heaven"? I don't get it.

14. Very Exhausting Drama (Physical/Emotional)
Look at how much running Jiwoo, Sangwoo and Shin had to do! I feel tired just watching them. If they were not in good physical condition before the filming, they would have been after the drama. I love Sangwoo's first chase of the bus that Jiwoo was on. He ran like a 400m finalist, trackstar-style with hands pumping. I also marvel at how Jiwoo can cry and run at the same time. But I marvel even more at how she could run fast in high heels! Shin also did some high-energy running, haversack and duffel bag in tow.

Next, all the crying and bawling.. Jiwoo had to cry until she's like hysterical, so many times. So tiring... So unlike her role in Winter Sonata. Crying to laughing to crying again at the beach with Shin in Epi 17 or 18 is so challenging. And a very good showcase of her excellent performance is Epi 20 at the cafe when she learnt that her illness has deteriorated: from happy to sad to utter breakdown. Shin's suppressed sobs also quite touching. The most tissue-worthy scene for me is in Epi 18 when Songju pretended to be Taehwa to accompany the blind Jeongsuh to the cafe, and both ended up weeping inside/outside the cafe. And of cos Epi 20 is a whole bucket's worth of tears.

Third, all the fights and slapping. I couldn't stand Tae Mira slapping the younger Jeongsuh so many times in Epi 3. And the actress playing Tae had to NG in this scene! So imagine how many continuous slaps the poor girl endured! (Actually I skipped Epi 2 cos I couldnt bear watching all the bullying she had to withstand.)

Fourth, piggybacking by Songju (young and adult). Sangwoo must be thankful that Jiwoo only weighed 50kg, although it's not easy given her long limbs. I also had a good laugh at the scene when Jiwoo piggybacked Sangwoo, when I remembered the related NG clip.

15. Such a Demanding Role for Jiwoo
The director/script writers really maxed out Jiwoo's physical/emotional resources in this drama. All the crying, bawling, running, fighting, slipping, falling, crawling... Whew! I really cringe when she had to fall (especially after Jeongsuh's eyesight worsen), and when Sangwoo had to drag/fling her around like a rag doll (why must he act so rough). Besides the injuries to her knee(s) that I've read about, Jiwoo must have had bruises all over from all that treatment!
Kudos to Jiwoo for a great professional performance, she certainly rose to the challenge. In Singapore she would definitely have won Best Actress for this kind of role.

16. Best Intimate Moments (Yes I've saved the best for the last)
I've read before a lot of discussion in other forums about whether Jiwoo was too old to match Sangwoo in this drama, etc. Having watched the drama myself, I thought the two of them generated very good chemistry on screen, so as to make the relationship believable. Their comfortable partnership and professional skills shone through, thus touching viewers like us. For example, when we watch how they played the characters trying to spend every living moment together (knowing the end is near) in the last 2 episodes, the furthest thought in our heads is whether one person is too old/young for the other person!

Anyway, back to "intimate moments". The kiss that went on the on at the skating ring has been lauded as one of the best K-drama kisses. But my personal favourite tender moment is when Jeongsuh stayed over at Songju's motel room after he "left" his company: how Songju "maneuvered" Jeongsuh into the full-body hug. Wowww..
My No. 2 favourite is the kissing in the snow initiated by Jeongsuh. Wohhh...
No. 3 (because it's so sad) is the scene where Songju comforted Jeongsuh on the hospital bed, last episode. Sigh...

댓글 '10'

dr Love

2004.06.17 16:15:50

Hahahaha....very witty,freshdough.....your part 1 was a refreshing lunch-time treat....fell off my seat laughing many times..can't wait for Part 2...really,u've made me see the funnier side to STH and i dun think i'll ever see all the characters in the same light again.

Xuexi

2004.06.17 19:07:11

Ya, agree w/dr Love. Well done! freshdough - a witty & thorough critique of the show (especially the comment on JS's dad, step-mom, sis and the many bruises sustained by JW in the show)! You've said it all for all of us. No wonder hardly or no guys watch such melodrama, it's all ladies, young or old. But I'm not ashamed of women's sentimentality. We are created by God with emotions and feelings of joy, laughter, sorrow, tears, pain, anguish, the list goes on .......

After watching the show, personally I don't really feel that JW looks older than SW (just by 1 year).

I've remarked before that who's the script writer who writes such story with lots of loopholes/flaws. Yet it was being picked to make into a drama and guess what it became a hit despite the irrationalities and some silly parts in the story. So the local slang says - those who act it are crazy and those who watch it are silly/dumb?! One of Taiwan's media reported that the viewers couldn't take their eyes off the screen of this show despite all the criticisms and hoo-ha made by them. One wonders why .......

Despite all the flaws, I don't know about you, but I still like the show and the forever love story of SJ&JS = SW&JW.

Looking forward to your enlightening part 2 of the drama ..........

Cheers to all ~~~~~~~~

Casper

2004.06.17 20:25:16

Clap! Clap! Clap! Very good analysis. I cannot help laughing throughout the reading. ^___^

stehpanie

2004.06.17 22:38:23

thanks for your enlightening

Jennifer O

2004.06.18 00:14:52

Thank you freshdough. Interesting analysis.
Love this drama so much that we mind not those flaws. What to do? Love SJ&JS, their love story's touches the hearts of many viewers.... SW and JW are great actors and their chemistry certainly is excellent. I do feel they look very2 compatible and matching despite that one-year difference (JW does not appear older than SW at all). And all those "intimate moments" are all so sweet and loving..... No wonder its rating was to a near high 45% ; SW&JW got the best screen couple in SBS's 13-year drama history, best OST, best drama...
Looking forward to yr Part 2... Cheers~~~

Arielle_ng

2004.06.18 01:52:26

BRAVO , Freshdough , you finally was convinced to watch this drama( refer to your message posted in late May ). You have really done a good review of the drama. I don

freshdough

2004.06.18 02:23:47

Arielle, your theories make great sense! Thanks. I especially like your interpretation on the running.
Yes the last episode was an all-out surge of emotions. You described it well. (I still wish the mike kept out of the way.)

kk

2004.06.18 02:57:07

Thank you freshdough for the interesting analysis and also the detailed feedback of Arielle.
Personally I feel that there are many flaws in the drama such as what kind of coincidence that there was a dead body found right after the accident and nobody seemed to supspect about the identity of Jungsu. Besides, joungsu 's father who disallow her to study with songju was irrational.
It was not convincing at all with songju's mom still instist that he had to marry Yali after she reliased that joungsu was still alive. And......

However, the PD 's skills, jiwoo and sangwoo's performance overcome all the above flaws. The good viewing rate in Korean and Taiwan are definitely evidence of the success about this drama.
I agree with Arielle about why the PD had to ask Jiwoo and Sangwoo running all the times.
Finally, I feel that one of the crusal success of this drama is the Leads. The fantastic performance of Jiwoo and Sangwoo is the major attraction. Frankly speaking, I will definitely not watching this sad drama during Chinese New Year if it is not performed by Jiwoo.
Look forward to see Part 2
Looking forward to see Part 2

Xuexi

2004.06.18 17:24:04

Well done! Arielle, your response to some of freshdough's comments & doubts echoed precisely my sentiments. For me, these are not theories but could be true situations eg. of JS not recognising SJ in the first instance due to her shock of losing her vision, she was all "upside down" in her whole being. It will begin to make some sense if we step back and think "maybe" there is this and this ....... it's a matter of individual perspective on things and issues in life.

Indeed there were 3 main characters always running in this show, and SW was the one who ran the most. Poor guy running after the bus when he first found his love, and later part running after the train not wanting to lose her again. Thank God in real life SW is really fit to do all these runnings.

I thought the key classic words were the scene at the sports stadium - about trust. And the other in the motel room where they were both reading comics - his 3 dreams and his 3rd dream and passion won over all (like faith, hope and love and love is the greatest of all).

Blessings and happiness be with SW&JW always, and to all in the board ~~~

Jennifer O

2004.06.19 03:27:37

Thank you all,
Very2 interesting sharing of thoughts on STH.. Well done gals!
Keep going.....
Bless all of us and SW&JW forever ~~~~ Cheers,
List of Articles
번호 제목 글쓴이 날짜 조회 수sort
2806 JiWoo in PHilippines! [2] aiene 2003-11-05 3226
2805 JW's news (Oct. 23. 2003) in Chinese websites [8] JCL 2003-10-23 3226
2804 SunXing's pictures (101 proposal lead actor) [9] alexmom 2003-09-26 3226
2803 belate Happy Birthday [1] janifer 2003-06-30 3226
2802 First Love (初戀)will be broadcasting in Singapore [7] Eze 2003-05-24 3226
2801 [re] Our darling princess is now No.11 @ FunVotes! [8] Jennifer O 2003-06-01 3226
2800 hello fans~!! [11] Jake (찬희) 2003-06-03 3226
2799 KBS -#14050 San 2003-04-07 3226
2798 Golden Filming Awards KBS vod transcript... [9] Jake 2003-03-30 3226
2797 Korean Film festival 1-25 to 14-2 (hong Sang So special) [2] jude 2003-03-30 3226
2796 Queen April Issue JiWoo's Home (4) Jake (찬희) 2003-03-25 3226
2795 Jiwoo's house in Korean board#13890-13895 [1] San 2003-03-24 3226