^-^
Actor Ahn Seong-Gi Gets the Popular Vote
by Lee Yong-sung?
December 17, 2002
Read: 30?
Ahn Seong-gi, 50, is a national treasure. Without him, it’s hard to imagine how the domestic movie industry would have been shaped. Some say it could have been better, but that only means the industry has relied too much on Ahn’s charismatic charm and full range of acting talent.

However, charm and talent are not enough to explain the success of this professorial middle-aged actor, who now stands tall as an Asian star.

Last Wednesday Ahn attended the third East Asia & Pacific Regional Children & Young People’s Forum, hosted by the United Nation’s Children’s Fund (UNICEF), at the Korea Press Center in downtown Seoul. He has been a goodwill ambassador of UNICEF Korea since 1991.

``Maybe it’s because I belong to the post-war generation. Although I grew up in a comparatively well-off household, I know how terrible it is for children to suffer from lack of food and general care.’’ Ahn said in an interview with The Korea Times.

Ahn debuted in 1957 in director Kim Gi-yeong(a)’s movie ``Evening train,’’ and this made the child actor a star at the age of 5. ``I definitely had more chocolate than my pals did. That’s it.’’ Ahn commented, with his trademark nice-guy smile, about his time as famous child actor.

Throughout the domestic entertainment history, there have been countless numbers of child actors who became stars. However, only a small number of them continued their careers as grown-up actors, and almost no one ever made it to stardom as Ahn did.

``I owed much to my earlier acting experiences in that I became familiar with acting before the camera as a young lad, and more than that, I recognized how quickly popularity could crumble. So I have been able to concentrate on acting itself,’’ Ahn said. Ironically, he has been a movie star far longer than almost anyone else.

To recognize the truth about popularity at that early age, he seems to have been intellectually gifted. Ahn graduated at the top of his class in the Vietnamese language department at Hankuk University of Foreign Studies in 1978, and spent much time in the school’s drama club.

However, more than anything else, it was sincerity and passion that made him what he is. For his latest movie, Piano Playing President, Ahn took piano lessons for three months. Although his piano-playing scene lasts less than three minutes in the movie, this veteran actor didn’t mind a brand new challenge for his 68th movie.

``I just didn’t feel right about acting out the scene, because from my point of view the scene is essential to express the character of the friendly but charismatic president, Han Min-wuk, Ahn said.

According to research done recently by a local cable TV company, Ahn was the number-one candidate for the presidency among all entertainment figures. He has also been named favorite actor in various surveys.

However, off screen he is far from special. When asked how he could have come so far without being involved in a scandal, his answer was simple and flat: ``Well, there are more actors living free from scandals.And on how it felt to kiss actress Choi Ji-wu, who is 23 years younger than him, for the movie, he said, ``It was just a movie, you know.

From the way he talks, one might find it hard to believe that he is such a huge star. There was once a time when people jokingly said that domestic films were divided into two groups _ films with Ahn and films without him.

His advice for young actors was heartfelt. ``These days, young actors are talented and passionate. But they should try to have a longer perspective on their career and take extra care when choosing a scenario,Ahn said.

He is no comedian, but has a charming way of making people around him feel most comfortable. ``I don't like an actor changing after becoming popular, he said. If there is anyone who lives up to this, Ahn is definitely one of them. He is the real article.

(courtesy of KoreaTimes)
List of Articles
번호 제목 글쓴이 날짜 조회 수sort
586 Jake feeling the side effects? [1] jude 2002-07-22 3226
585 JiWoo movie in Morning Show [VOD] [1] jake 2002-07-19 3226
584 jiwoo [1] llin 2002-09-11 3226
583 Webmaster - Greetings at the Airport jude 2002-09-22 3226
582 When does jiwoo go to Hongkong [1] sandy 2002-09-29 3226
581 [CF nation] 'Do I look in my teen?' [2] Jake (찬희) 2002-10-28 3226
580 Jake, pls put back the video, I want to watch it again! [4] mhcus01 2002-11-11 3226
579 help....Jake..... [1] stephy 2002-11-20 3226
578 Message for the Webmaster Cissy 2002-11-21 3226
577 JiWoo at Emil Chau's concert... [5] melaneleong 2002-11-23 3226
576 [re] another way to download the video melaneleong 2002-11-28 3226
575 noticeable mannerism [4] jsng 2002-11-28 3226